Eleanor Roosevelt:

The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hungry After exercise?

Some of you may be like me and get hungry after you exercise..... Well if your like me i feel like eating a truck load of food.. anyways i have just been for a two hour walk and got home and again feeling hungry so i thought i would do some research. i found a website called ask the Dietitian and got this little bit of information from it which could explain why i am feeling hungry after i excercise and also you... Hope this helps

Moderate exercise by itself does not increase your appetite unless you have exercised too hard or are on a quick weight loss diet and your glycogen stores are depleted. Glycogen is the stored form of glucose in your muscles and liver. You only have about 1500 to 1800 calories of stored glycogen. When glycogen is depleted, your body has to turn to protein in muscles and organs to supply glucose. Depending on the time of your last meal before exercising, your blood sugar may be low. In which case, your body is telling you to eat.Moderate exercise helps in suppressing appetite and increasing your metabolic rate for up to 15 hours after exercise. A gland in your brain called the hypothalamus is responsible for secreting a hormone, which inhibits hunger. Exercise helps stimulate this gland to produce more of this hormone. Moderate exercise that would produce this beneficial effect would be 60 minutes of exercise, three to five times per week. Possibly, by the time you complete your exercising the suppression of your appetite has started. I thought this was very interesting.

Also on another note...


I have very tight muscles and it doesn't matter how much stretching i do if you i do more weights as weights helps loosen muscles my muscles are still tight!! Well while i was away in QLD i went and had a massage as my calf muscles were killing me because i had done so much walking and running.. anyways the lady said to me usually when your muscles are tight you are lacking magnesium!! sooo i went and brought some tables and have taken them after my excercise and have found that it is relaxing my muscles. I also did some research into why you can lack magnesium and was very interesting..... One of the things i found was that if you drink alcohol you are at high risk for magnesium deficiency because alcohol increases urinary excretion of magnesium.. I was drinking nearly every day so it might explain a few things.. Anyways i should be getting the magnesium in the food im eating, but just incase im not im taking a supplement anyways!! Soo there you go i hope that i have educated you a little bit!

3 comments:

Cinders said...

Very interesting Miss Ness. When I started to get into serious healthy mode again I upped my water as you do. Well, the pain in my legs was excrutiating some days and nights. I found out that lots of water sometimes flushes out the good stuff also and I'm now on Magnesium tablets also and they've made a huge difference.

Enjoy :)

Anonymous said...

I am 42 and weigh 275, I started working out "Again" on my Elliptical and treadmill EVERYDAY for 45-60. My question is, do you think that is too much?? I also get really hungry after working out, what should I eat after exercise?
Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tip, it really makes sense and I've been trying to understand this phenomenon.